Sunday, March 4, 2012

Writing your own story

“When I get lonely these days, I think: So BE lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.”
- Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat Pray Love

I read this quote from Eat Pray Love, in Judy Balan's post once and it remained glued in my head ever since.A movie I thought was, ermmmm,kind-of-okay, till I figured that its a true life story. That moment my jaw-dropped. Shortly,I found myself looking over shelves at different bookshops only to find it sold-out everywhere.
Nope. The quote didn't strike me like lightening (HA! dramatic),neither I'm in my thirties nor am I a woman dealing with post-divorce stress. Its just the human experience that gets me hooked on,every time I read about it. Human Experience.

It can be insanely strange,erratic and full of surprises .I never knew, till I experienced, that sometimes your soul abandons you.BAM. And you just feel so emotion-less. It just goes on, to the other side of the fence, and stares at you, asking you to open up to a grander version. More powerful. Free of fear. Aloof of opinions.

A story told to the world, honestly, baring your heart open, baring your soul open for millions of eyes to look into, I earlier thought was freaky. But now,I think, is alchemy. Writing your own story. When you know that you're filling pages with how you feel. And so, even before I could finish reading this novel, I wanted to give the author a standing ovation.

I would love to write my story one day. And I would want it to be real, honest and soulful. With slight traces of sorrow, loneliness, anger,indignation and mistakes BUT an overpowering sense of discovery. The points where you just grasp your own soul and emerge out, victorious. THAT sense of victory. Where you stop pitying yourself and start assuming responsibility for your actions. And take pride in them. Yes. That sense of pride and fulfillment.

And about that undying faith in someone Elizabeth Gilbert keeps talking about throughout the novel, well.....I can only nod my head fervently in agreement as I flip pages.

I know,someone takes care of me, answers my prayers, holds me to sleep peacefully, gives me the strength to emerge, yes. To emerge. And even as I write this post, A friend who's never shared a file with me before, sent me a song that left me amazed with its timing.

A smidgen of god.

Peace :-)

2 comments:

Red Handed said...

Go write that story and I pray that one day I get to read it and nod my head as I flip the pages too :)

Madhuresh said...

"Sometimes your soul abandons you... ...It just goes on, to the other side of the fence, and stares at you, asking you to open up to a grander version. More powerful. Free of fear. Aloof of opinions."
The human experience, very rare though. Another nice read!