Sunday, May 27, 2012

Do we ever get away scott free?

I met a close friend after really long yesterday and we parked ourselves in a cafe for the entire day. I have some of my best conversations with her. :-)

In the middle of discussing relationships and relationship-limbos, I commented, “Hey! But thank god, we always get away scott free"

She vehemently retorted, "No-one gets away scott free Dash. No-one. We may be emotionally strong and sometimes numb but that doesn't mean we get-away unaffected by people who enter our lives. Look at all of us. We all are different people today and lets face it, it didn't JUST happen." She almost broke into tears as she spoke and I was taken aback for a few minutes. My next reaction was excitement in anticipation of something huge. Weak moments are when I'm sure my friends would get up and redefine fabulous for themselves. *Yes*

At that point of time, I just kept quiet but didn't really agree with her.

Nevertheless, her outburst got me thinking. Undoubtedly. There are people who change us radically. Some acknowledge and embrace the presence of those powerful people in their lives even if it drains them out emotionally. Others become more powerful from within to let those powerful people diminish them. But we are affected. All of us are affected in some way or the other.

Certain people incite a feeling that's unique to their presence. Have you ever felt it? You must have. But have you ever recognized and recorded it? It could be uncanny restlessness or comfort. But it’s eerily strong. These are people who make you pay for their presence in some way or the other. It can be terribly vexing at times and you’d wonder what-could-be-worse. I’ve realized, if there’s one feeling worse than the ‘what-could-be-worse’ feeling, its being unaffected.

Being unaffected- Leaves you with a feeling of being left alone in the woods- Awry, very awry.

I think and re-think, rewind my life and type again- Did I get away scott free? Did any of you get away scott free? Can we ever get away scott free? If we do, we'd be left alone. Is that the price we're ready to pay-to get away-just get away-Scott free.

4 comments:

Red Handed said...

Your friend sure is insightful!! :D

Madhuresh said...

We are indeed affected! What matters is how we take it, how we veer it towards the beautiful, towards 'the' life...

Rahul Bhatia said...

Rarely ever anyone goes scot free except politicians in this country:)

Saru Singhal said...

Well I think few people do get away Scott free but we always carry a lil baggage of something with us, be it learning, what not to do or anything at all...