Sunday, August 26, 2012

What is so great about being great anyway?

I often come across people who in the middle of discussions throw this million dollar question at me, " But who are you to say so?"

I find that hard to answer.

Yeah. A 25 year old woman-with little dreams-I'm as ordinary as anyone can get. For me, my little milestones-even the smallest of them- are dreams-that make me happy.

But isn't the happiness of a society a congregation of the happiness quotient of its individuals?

So, if I live my life to the fullest,protect/help other individuals to the best of my capacities, doesn't it contribute to something constructive- even if its the smallest drop in the ocean?

Our society preaches the greatness in sacrifice and suffering to an extent that it has become a way of life. Youngsters marry against their will to sacrifice for their family, employees give up on their personal life to sacrifice for their company and your contribution to the country is worthwhile only if you sacrifice your life/comfort to make a difference.

What happened to just being human? Why this constant chase for greatness?

The only one life I have some control over or have the right to control- is my own.

If I nurture that one life my way- I'm called selfish.

"Why?" I ask.

As a society with more problems than we can handle and more frustration than can be handled, I think- we need to protect individual freedom and rights more than anything else. A society should lay rules to protect anyone from harming/slandering anyone in anyway for any reason.

Anyway- Do you ever feel guilty for living or aspiring for the life of your dreams?

If the answer is yes, then please do yourself and the coming generations a huge favor by living guilt free and fearlessly.

If you have lived a liberated life, you'll have deeper respect for that of others. In my opinion, that can do greater good than chasing greatness and subsequently judging,repressing and rebuking people.

What is so great about being great anyway if you missed finding yourself in the process?

Sometimes I wish they made Ayn Rand's Objectivism a compulsory subject in schools.

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- AR

4 comments:

Madhuresh said...

It is always so good to read you Madhusha. Nice thoughts!
Yes, 'that' can do greater good than chasing greatness!

kapil said...

I fully agree with you Madhusha. We shouldn't be part of race for greatness, rather live simple. Prefer happiness over greatness.
Mind Stuff

Madhusha said...

@madheresh: Its also very good to read ure comments :) Thank u :)
@Kapil: True that

Informationjinxed said...

Every human aspires for comfort be it any, emotional, physical etc. One needs to be really comfortable in his own space before he can be of any use to society. Being yourself and living be ones own rules is Comfortable.