Monday, September 3, 2012

And just like them old stars.....

I rebel, fight and make-up with my parents tad too often. I talk about freedom a bit too often. I talk about individuality a bit too often. I talk- too much- too often. Maybe we all do- at some point in time.

I shuddered reading this article today which may be extreme but nevertheless, touched me deeply.

For families like ours, where parents are sophisticated and learned, being embarrassed of them cannot be an issue.But we have other issues.Our issues are a perpetual conflict of ideas and philosophies,our impatience and recklessness,coldness and indifference.

I've lost count of the number of occasions where I’ve rebelled like a stupid teenager. I don't know if its justified or not. Maybe it is. Maybe its not. Maybe.

What I know- is the fact- that all of me- is a zero without their support. I can get away easily being a brat because I know I can run back and hide behind Dad in trouble, because Mommy’s arms are a cry away, because my troubles are not troubles really. They are just threats that can be taken care of - by my wall, my rock, my strength.

Isn't it the same for most of us? We get away easily with our eccentricities because we're sure that our parachute would open up to save us if we fall off the cliff. It would save us-come what may.

I have no clue what makes me write this disconnected piece.

Maybe the fact that I derive the courage to write from them.

How does it feel to hear a song where the lyrics look like they’re meant for you? Where the words are not a reflection of what you want to say but an echo of what’s being done for you- without your realizing or recognizing it. Things Mom-Dad never said but somehow floated into the universe beautifully through this song, making more sense than any song ever before,

“When I look into your eyes
It's like watching the night sky
Or a beautiful sunrise
Well, there's so much they hold
And just like them old stars
I see that you've come so far
To be right where you are
How old is your soul?

Well, I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

And when you're needing your space
To do some navigating
I'll be here patiently waiting
To see what you find

'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it
No, I won't give up

I don't wanna be someone who walks away so easily
I'm here to stay and make the difference that I can make
Our differences they do a lot to teach us how to use
The tools and gifts we got yeah, we got a lot at stake
And in the end, you're still my friend at least we did intend
For us to work we didn't break, we didn't burn
We had to learn how to bend without the world caving in
I had to learn what I've got, and what I'm not
And who I am

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up
Still looking up…

-Jason Mraz

To my rock, my wall, my strength

Because I love you

7 comments:

Jayshree Dash said...

well written piece!lot of imagination,wonderful control over words,and the depth in each note...well life is not so much a bubble..
no doubt my daughter is an amazing scribe..someone we r always proud of..let the sky be the limit of Ur achievements.
mama

Jayshree Dash said...

well written piece...wild words spoken from heart...imagination can't have boundaries..you have very smartly put across the best foot at the correct place..god bless ..let the sky be the limit of ur achievements.
mama

Sridhar Ramachandran said...

i am really happy u wrote this.. i was getting a feeling you just fight with them :p atleast thats what ur blogs suggested.. scrappy cuckoo! midleife crisis
and i really like that .. a love song can be for somebody u love even ur parents! i guess u understand what i mean..

Savvy said...

Where well written. And yes you are quite a brat :) but we all are when it comes to our parents.

kopal thakur said...

"because my troubles are not troubles really. They are just threats that can be taken care of - by my wall, my rock, my strength." cant tell you how comforting this statement is :)even if there is one fruitful take away from a write up I consider it worth my time. This for sure was.

Madhuresh said...

Well written piece..

Madhusha said...

@Mommy ::*
@Sridhar: scrappy cuckoo? noooo :I
@Savvy: YEah...n maybe with u :p
@laffu: Ure stupid but the comment is nice
@Madhuresh: Thank u :)