Monday, May 13, 2013

On 'Public' Display of Affection




Facebook has changed the face of social networking. It takes everything to a new level altogether; protests, celebrations,disasters,awareness,relationships and also despicable behavior. I’ve lately noticed an array of strong messages on “Why emotions SHOULD-NOT be expressed on a public forum” spamming my timeline. Now that puzzles me and puzzles me terribly. Being acerbic about other’s showing love is conventional but people illustrating love publicly is questionable. Why so, my dear bunch of judgmental critics?
How does a “personal message on a public platform” dilute the strength or sincerity of anyone’s emotions?  Being ultra-clever and sarcastically posting updates in the lines of “I would never express my love on fb” only makes you unpleasant and disparaging. Errrmmmmm. I secretly feel like giving these people a high-five on their face.
This disdainful attitude is annoying. What joy could a mordant update on the world’s celebratory mood bring to you? Mother’s day, Sister’s day, Friendship’s Day, Valentine’s Day- They might not be the most ‘deep’ or ‘passionate’ way to celebrate love but they are pleasant! A perfect opportunity to break the ice, mend bridges and say little nothings to people who’re significant in one’s life. What could be wrong in having one such day when everyone collectively sends out positive messages across their entire network of friends? What can be wrong in people posting lovely messages and photographs with mother’s on facebook on “mother’s day”? It's a gesture that is heart-melting and over-whelming if you ask me. Being embraced on a public platform through a simple message! I would love to be acknowledged as special on a public platform by family, friends and loved ones. What could be wrong in that? The answer evades me. Also, what inconvenience does it cause to the “cool one’s” on planet earth?
You can have your unique ways of being expressive. For all anyone cares, you can choose not to express at all! But why on earth would you post punitive messages about other people being affable? Collective celebration brings immense joy. The power of togetherness charges up the atmosphere in a way that’s euphoric. Questioning that collective energy and positivity is simply rude and weird.
If you prefer showing love silently you rather keep your unpleasant discontentment about “others” also silent. What say! A win-win for everyone!
It’s extremely vexing to see dry wistful “know-it-all” updates in the lines of “If I loved someone it won’t be on facebook”. Derogatory!
Life would be a lot simpler if we quit conniving and being judgmental towards other people. Who is happy and who’s pretending to be happy is ‘their’ business and minding its authenticity is certainly not yours. Sharing love is beautiful and the modes could be many. In my opinion, expressing a gratitude or affection is a person’s biggest gift to the world and anyone who thinks otherwise is a cynic.
On this note, Here's a toast to the most wonderful woman on planet earth! My lover, my soul-mate and the core of my strength! Happy Mother’s Day Mommy!
I hope that doesn't weaken my feelings for my Mom.Yes? Critics!?


11 comments:

Red Handed said...

Hawwwwwwwwwwwww...
I did post a picture of me and mom on facebook and even tagged her. Yes my mother is on Fb..And yes i did PDA :(
But we looked too awesome in the pic. So its allowed you see :D

Sridhar Ramachandran said...

i guess most often than not the public expression of love is "misconstrued" as an attempt to 'show' that you love rather than actually love.. and probably be destroys the divinity of the feeling..

but frankly to each is own.. u love someone.. if you do.. express it to them that's more important .. how you do it.. who cares really.. put it on FB if you like.. write a personalized letter.. make a phone call or just be there for them.. Love is love, expressed in which ever manner you may want to, it is still love..

Rinaya said...

Forgive me but I think its foolish to expect people to mind their own business! If you don't show love some may even tag you as being emotionless...if you do show love, you're tagged as being fake...such is public ...

Prabit Mishra said...

keep it simple silly... its the thin line between show n show off, thts all. its not about being smart; rather a desperate attempt to not be emotional

conniving is not about judging sm1 else, its abt bng jealous of the fortunate few

Adi Crazy said...

How I wish people would stop sharing cheesy 'Love Your Family' 'Cherish Your Mother' 'Sisters Forever' posts on Facebook! I agree with you completely here, PDA on social media disgusts me to no end. But sigh, we can't tell people what to do and are thus doomed to suffer.
However, I do hit the un-subscribe button very often. heehee!

Loved the post!

Madhusha said...

Long time! :)

Madhusha said...

Agreed :)

Madhusha said...

Hmm

Madhusha said...

:)

Madhusha said...

Yess

A S said...

what a pic!! and a nice post :)